Tuesday, May 10, 2016

In the End

"Let her find a husband among the dead" (Sophocles, Antigone, 730)

It's been one heck of year in AP lit. In between the 4 novels, 3 plays, and gazillion pieces of poetry, this has been the most in depth I've ever gone with classical literature. I've always had a soft spot for a good book, so this course fit me to a tee. Throughout this course my love for challenging myself in reading was rejuvenated. After going through a phase of heavy reading in middle school, I sort of started slacking off. More genre fiction, less "hardcore literature". But now, I have a big pile of classics I'm planning on diving into over the summer.

The reason for this new enthusiasm was probably learning how to really read analytically and see hidden themes in literature. A poem like The Wasteland can seem like terribly dry, dull, and dross if readers don't know how to read deeply. But, with knowledge of literary techniques and an understanding of theme; the book becomes a darkly surreal reflection on the decline of western society, filled to the brim with brilliant and innovative techniques. That's a huge growth from my seventh grade perspective of "Wow, those are big word or something, this must be art!"

This past semester my favorite work was Antigone. I simply loved how catty and rude all the characters were, and the whole thing is packed with quotable lines. I also like how the Greek style combined theater with poetry. It was like, "Wow, that scene was crazy. I wonder what's going to happen next. Aw dude! Now here's some totally baller poetry! Aw man, that stuff's dope." Seriously, I never thought that I would find Greek tragedy so entertaining. If not for AP lit I probably never would have learned that about myself. So, thanks AP Literature and composition! It was fun knowing you...

No comments:

Post a Comment