Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Critical Lens Reflection

Let me tell you, I'm thankful that I likely won't ever have to write a literature critical analysis ever again. From finding research materials, to extracting information, and finally coming up with analysis; the whole project felt insurmountable. Once I finally just sat down and started writing, the process got a bit easier. But, towards the end of my essay I just started running out of things to say and the whole affair feels a bit under-cooked. There was one redeeming part of this assignment however as I found great entertainment in reading accounts of F. Scott Fitzgerald being a lying jerk sometimes. Also, this Matthew J. Bruccoli guy seems weirdly obsessed with Fitzgerald's life; it's just kind of creepy how much the man has written on the topic. My favorite quote from Bruccoli (in regards to Zelda Fitzgerald's lone novel) is "Save Me the Waltz is worth reading partly because anything that illuminates the career of F. Scott Fitzgerald is worth reading" (southern literary journal). I also found all of Bruccoli's occasional judgments of the Fitzgerald's marriage (in his epic 600 page biography of F. Scott Fitzgerald) to be fairly amusing.

1 comment:

  1. "Let me tell you, I'm thankful that I likely won't ever have to write a literature critical analysis ever again." Best wording ive ever heard for "i would rather die than have to do this again"

    ReplyDelete