Wednesday, February 24, 2016

King Lear Prediction

"... the theme of King Lear may be stated in psychological as well as biological terms. So put, it is the destructive, the ultimately suicidal character of unregulated passion, its power to carry human nature back to chaos."-- Harold C. Goddard (1951)

Based off of this quote I get a strong feeling that the play King Lear features a tragic hero who makes a terrible mistake. My guess is that the hero's tragic flaw involves unbridled passion which leads to his (and possibly a kingdom's) downfall. I also get an impression that this play will feature some focus on human nature, otherwise I don't think that this quote would focus on passion's power "to carry human nature back to chaos". To be honest, I'm actually kind of pumped to read King Lear. If it's anywhere near as engaging as Antigone was, then I know I'll have a good time learning about some classic literature!

No comments:

Post a Comment